When a flood or other event causes a large amount of water to enter your home, it can leave you feeling overwhelmed. But by staying calm and reacting well, you can reverse the damage as soon as possible. While there is no immediate water damage fix, you can get your home back to a dry and comfortable state by following these steps.
- Remove Water: The first step you should take is to get as much water as possible out of your home. If you are not comfortable starting this process yourself, call a professional to do it for you. If your power is out, you can start by using towels and buckets to put the water outside. Be careful with any electric devices like water pumps, and be sure to plug them in far away from the wet area.
- Call A Professional: Once the immediate water threat is removed, call a professional to come address the damage. Eco friendly water damage restoration services are a great option, as they will take care of the damage without causing further environmental damage. Communicate with these professionals about house carpet maintenance following restoration.
- Prevent Mold Growth: Water damage can cause mold growth, and the EPA reports that 100% of all mold types can cause some type of health problems. This is why it’s essential to get your home dry as soon as possible. If you are unable to do so, keep an eye out for mold. You may also consider calling an inspector to point out at-risk areas so you’ll be covered in case the worst happens.
- Call Your Insurance Company: Your home insurance policy may cover water damage, so be sure to give them a call as soon as possible. Have photos of the damage on hand. They may also send an agent to come inspect your home, so relay the details closely to increase your chances of compensation.
- Watch For Residual Damage: Once you address all of the immediate damage and order eco friendly water damage restoration, remember that signs of water damage can show up afterwards as well. These can include mold, mildew, and rot.
Remember: By taking the right steps, you can keep your family healthy and comfortable following water damage. Just as you would order rug stain cleaning, it’s just as important to address the often invisible signs of water damage.